Less than 10 years ago, community shares were almost unheard of. Yet since 2012, £155 million has been raised by 104,203 people supporting more than 440 vital businesses – an impressive 92% of which are still trading.
Today we publish new research which demonstrates the significant impact that community shares has had on businesses and communities across the UK. Understanding a maturing community shares market is the most comprehensive report ever published on the community shares sector – funded by Power to Change and Community Shares Scotland.
The report finds:
- Since 2012, £155m has been raised by 104,203 people to support more than 440 businesses.
- 92% of businesses that have raised finance with community shares are still trading.
- 85% of businesses say that running a share offer has had a positive impact on financial performance.
- 80% of people invest in community share offers because of the wider social or environmental benefits of the organisation – less than 20% stated the prospect of financial returns as a reason for investing.
- For every £1 invested in community shares, an additional £1.18 is leveraged through grants, loans and institutional investment.
Help raise awareness of community shares:
- Download the report: Understanding a maturing community shares market.
- Share the findings on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
- Create your own posts using our graphics and draft messages.
- Make sure you use #comshares and link to the report at www.uk.coop/comshares
What are community shares?
Community shares is a flexible and effective way to raise finance – benefiting businesses, investors and the wider community. An innovative, accessible investment model, community shares has become a popular approach to raising finance. It is unique to co-operative and community benefit societies – businesses owned and run by local communities across the UK.